Read via Chesterfield FC’s Matchday Programme
Daws Refuses To Klopp It
Scunthorpe United boss Nick Daws has insisted he will not be ‘Jurgen Klopp-ing it’ in his bid to boost attendances at Glanford Park.
Daws says he is looking to turn the Iron’s home ground into a fortress to consolidate their enviable record as the third best defensive outfit at home in League One.
“I think we’ve spoken for a long time about the importance of winning your home games or, like against Oldham last weekend, getting something out of a game that didn’t look like it would go our way,” he told the Scunthorpe Telegraph.
“Home form is always important, because it’s where the majority of your supporters attend. One hundred per cent of your supporters attend home games, whereas you probably only get 10-20 per cent going to away games.
“It’s important we use the environment we’ve got here and embrace the supporters and they embrace what we’re trying to do to make Glanford Park as difficult a place to play for the opposition, not ourselves.
“I won’t be ‘Jurgen Klopping’ it down the touchline or anything like that – but I do think it’s important the supporters feel part of what we’re experiencing and also help the experience of the players on the pitch.”
Wallace Happy At Millwall
Wolves midfielder Jed Wallace says he does not want his loan spell with League One side Millwall to end.
The former Portsmouth prospect is enjoying his time in London and has made 13 appearances for the club since making the temporary switch from Molineux in January.
“I’m loving it,” Wallace told South London Today of his first two months with the club. “I don’t want it to end, really.
“I don’t want it to look like I’m a loan player. I want to be a part of the group.
“It’s a good club. One that I would never rule out playing for in the future.”
The 21-year-old scored his first goal of the season to get off the mark for Neil Harris’ side on Saturday with a free kick against Blackpool.
“The goal had been a long time coming – I’m delighted. I missed a chance on Tuesday against Wigan but I had a lot of good efforts, too. I know what I’m capable of – if you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will in today’s game.
“It’s a huge weight off of my shoulders. Hopefully I’ll go on to get a couple more while I’m here.”
Brutality Best For Bennett
Blackburn’s Elliot Bennett says the tough love approach from Rovers boss Paul Lambert has revived his season.
The midfielder admits that his performances were ‘rubbish’ after making a permanent move from Norwich City to Ewood Park.
And when Lambert told him that he shared the opinion, Bennett had no complaints at being dropped from the side.
The 27-year-old has since returned to the fold and has played a pivotal role in Blackburn’s recent good form, and credits his former Norwich manager’s man management with the revival.
“Throughout a season any player will tell you that you’ll have dips and unfortunately I hit a bad run of form when I joined here and I warranted being dropped by the manager,” he told the Lancashire Telegraph.
“I sat on the bench for a few weeks and I thought, ‘come on, I need to start doing it again’. I think that taking me out of the team was a fantastic thing by the manager.
“I just tried to work as hard as I could in training and since I’ve been back in the team I’ve really enjoyed being in the middle and in the thick of the action.”
Accrington Stanley boss John Coleman admitted he had never seen anything like the refereeing decision that went against his side on Saturday in his 46 years in football.
Stanley were drawing nil-nil away at AFC Wimbledon when referee Trevor Kettle blew for half time just as Billy Kee’s shot was on its way to nestling in the bottom corner to hand Coleman’s side the lead.
But Kettle disallowed the goal despite blowing his whistle amid a genuine goalscoring opportunity for Stanley.
“I’ve never seen anything like it happen in all my years playing and managing,” Coleman told BBC Radio Lancashire.
“He blew as the ball was on its way into the net: he said it was before. You can’t account for that. Everyone in the ground is flabbergasted.”
Shrimps For Sale
Morecambe chairman Peter McGuigan has put the League Two club up for sale and believes he is leaving the club in a strong position.
It had been rumoured for some time that the former Umbro chief was looking to bring new investment into the club and on Tuesday the chairman and majority shareholder made it clear that he wants to move on.
McGuigan, who oversaw the club’s promotion to the Football League in 2007, was quoted by the Visitor as saying: “I’ve been here 20 years, 16 as chairman, and I feel we’ve done our stint on it.
“I said at the fans’ forum that it really needs someone, a consortium of local businessmen or an individual, to come in and take it to the next level which in two to three years is League One.
“It’s a great opportunity for someone with a new stadium that is only four years old. Everything is in place.”
But McGuigan has not jumped into selling the club, and will ensure that any buyer is right for the club.
“The decision hasn’t been taken lightly, I’ve been thinking about it for some time,” he added.
“I’m not going to do something that 12 months down the line leaves the club in a bit of a mess.
“It’s got to be the right person taking over.”